Thursday 16 October 2014

Research of Layout and Fonts for Digipak and Advert

Layout:






The layout for these four digipak covers so exactly what I would like to be achieving within my own digipak. The minimalistic style which can clearly be seen throughout these designs is something I have been inspired by for along time. The effortlessness that is exuded from each of these designs and the way they seem to be more developed and 'busy' than they actually are is a design feature that I am willing to try and portray within my own design because having a design like this can really stand out in a music shop, which is my reasoning for trying to replicate this in the first place. In particular, The XX and Justice are the album covers that I am taking the most inspiration from because they only have one singular image in the middle of the cover. Even though the Pink Floyd and Digitalism album covers also have this, they have other features on them that doesn't make them just set images within the very middle of the cover. The colour schemes as well throughout each of these covers is very simple, again this is something that I want to take through into my own work because having too many colour could make the design look overly busy and ruining the look and feel that is being given off from these simple designs. For my own design, I am thinking that I will include the image of two circles in the middle of the cover, I would feel as though this is slightly different to anything I have seen before (however I am certainly not being original with my ideas, as I have taken massive inspiration from the designs above) and would create the impact that I wanted to create. Also I feel as though this is something that reflects the band I am portraying very well, and will compliment the style that we have given them.



Font:





With all of these designs, even though I am not going to be producing a digipak cover such as this, I am taking major inspiration from the font styles used throughout and how they have been integrated into the design to give an air of effortlessness. The Two Door Cinema Club design is one that I find the most inspirational to me because I love the quirkiness of the font and how it has been layed out on the design to give the most impact to the audience. Having a font such as this on my design, even though here it has been used on a more Indie/Pop record, it would still work on my Indie/Alternative version because of the plans that I have got in mind so far. The two Arcade Fire examples are shown here because they are the band that we are inspired by the most, as we are using their song in our music video, so to see how they have achieved their own digipak design is something that I find very interesting because I want to take as much inspiration from them as I can; as their style and quirks is what we want our band to be portrayed as, so seeing these designs and how they have been produced (even if I use them or not) is still something that I want to capture the essence of in many ways. The Vampire Weekend one on the other hand uses a very simple yet effective font; it creates an impact without being too busy or loud. It gets across the right amount of style and sophistication and is therefore something else that I would like to bring into my design somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment