Tuesday 7 October 2014

The Use of the Camera and Movements Within Our Video

Using a professional camera or even just a normal video recording camera can be something that can take a lot to get used to, especially considering that we as a team are not entirely experienced in using technology such as this. As modern day young adults, the only real experience we have in producing videos is through the use of smart phone cameras and posting videos onto apps such as Instagram. Therefore it means that we have a lot to learn and develop throughout this process in actually how this technology works and how to use it to the best of our ability.
As you can see here, this is a picture of myself (Lauren Bolton) trying to work out how the camera will be held when filming and the best way to make this work. We are using a shoulder stabiliser when filming, as you can see, and this is to help gain a steady shot and make sure that we can get this video looking more professional than it actually is. It is tricky trying to learn how to use equipment like this, especially when you have had no prior experience, and because I will be the 'camera man' on the day it means that I have to be very comfortable with what I'm doing and that I can be sure that I am generating the best angles and shots that I can because at the end of the day it will be me that could be held responsible for an 'off shot' or something that does not look as good.
A way to make sure that this doesn't happen though is to be practicing like this; it would be stupid of me to get there on the filming day and have no clue in what I'm doing or how to actually hold the camera and shoulder mount. Throughout this development and also this crucial practicing stage that I am doing, I have realised a lot of ways of how to do things and as you can see from the images above I have been testing a lot of motions and movements in how to be achieving certain shots and perspectives.
It is not too long until we actually get filming now and it is a scary prospect because we are all so passionate about this project and we all want to be making sure that we are giving it our all on the day. I feel the most amount of pressure because I am held responsible for all of the shots and how, essentially, the video looks. This is why this post had to be made and why I had to practice with the camera because without this time and development in knowing how to use this technology then I would be feeling very lost on the day.
We have a lot of ideas in what shots we want to be doing and as we discuss more about the song and what we want to achieve then the more the video develops into something that we as a team are getting very excited about. We actually want to be producing a lot of abstract and slo-mo sequences and shots and this is achieved by both the filming and editing process; I would say that I feel very strongly myself about doing this kind of thing, as we all are, because we want our video to stand out and be something that is admired. However trying to achieve these abstract shots is something of a risk because you don't really know how they are going to turn out until the editing process and that is something that instills a lot of fear into our group. Although, without taking this risk we won't know how well this idea would have turned out and considering that we can just redo shots accordingly in the process it means that this risk is worth taking.











The photos above are what we actually took on the day of filming our music video, as you can see everything looks a lot more professional in this situation

No comments:

Post a Comment