Saturday 29 November 2014

Digipak journey


This is the journey of ideas i had when creating my digipak and advert. I began to gather inspiration from existing albums which are inside of the indie genre. 

1. The kings of Leon album- Youth and Young Manhood. This gave me the idea for my draft digipak and advert as I found the use of the images effective. I liked the mysterious and isolated element given from the back cover of this album through the use of image set in a dark, creepy natural environment. The black and white filter on the image developed on this effect and suited the indie genre in which our band- Parables place themselves within.

2. Following on from the Kings of Leon album, I then further researched images of trees which portrayed a shadowed, isolated and mysterious effect. I used this as inspiration to give me ideas and a focus for when I came to taking the photos for the draft version.

3.  The next image on the journey shows one of my own images taken for the draft. using the research and existing digipak examples I decided to take images of the outside environment (including trees, leaves and a bridge.)

4. The 1975 album cover led me towards using a black and white colour scheme on my draft digipak and advert. I feel this is effective and suits the indie style genre.
7. Summerlin- Runaways album cover- I took inspiration from this and used it on my draft version of the digipak and advert. I loved the use of the black and white effect and the intriguing image. I felt this was a simple idea yet very effective and suited the indie genre very well.

8. I decided on the choice of colour scheme on the draft digipak and advert was black and white as I found this was a common idea among other indie bands and has the power to make a statement on the audience.

9.This is my draft digipak created for our band - Parables. I created this with the inspiration mentioned above in mind. I took the idea of using black and white as well as considering the bridge image having a similar theme as that featured on the Kings Of Leon album.

10. This is my draft advertisement. Again, taking ideas from the inspiration presented in the journey to create something which was a combination of many of the ideas.

11. PJ Harvey- Rid of me vinyl cover allowed me to see the effectiveness of a close up image being featured on the cover as I feel it is engaging and helps to express a sense of emotion which may summarise the album/ genre. This vinyl includes genres of indie rock music, therefore as this matches that of Parables genre, I feel this is therefore a suitable piece of research for me to take inspiration and ideas from.

12. Gemini - Wild Nothing album was something I found on a Google search of 'Close up album cover images'. I instantly took a liking to this design as it was something unique and intriguing. I became even more fond of the idea o using a close up image of an individual to feature on the front cover as research shows this is a commonly used convention of many indie artists/groups I hoped that my creation would also go on to look as effective and appealing as the existing albums I had researched.

13. The Smiths - Please, Please, Please album, again, helped me further explore the effectiveness of a close front cover image. This simple design has no reference to any of the tracks on the album yet effectively portrays the indie genre of the band. At this stage, there was still a clear theme of my interest for the colour scheme of my digipak to remain black, white and grey (monotone.)
 
14. This close up of Lana Del Ray allowed me to gain ideas of shots which would suit Parables digipak front cover. I liked the use of a close up shot showing facial expressions and began to explore the effectiveness of this.

15. Close up of a female featured on the cover of Slow Motion Music by Olivia Tank. This emphasised the effectiveness of this type of shot through making a statement and having the ability to interest the audience.

16. Bombay Bicycle Club- Flaws album. This was my main source of inspiration throughout the entire process of creating my final version of a digipak and advert. I took ideas on colour, text alignment, font styles and panel layouts. As this is a digipak created for an indie band, ideas would also match for Parables as they are also within this genre of music. I really liked the appearance of this album and felt that through using a similar design and layout, I would achieve a digipak and advert which would make a statement and interest the audience. I went on to homage after research on homage in industry. I found it incredibly effective and suited to the look I aimed to achieve- something bold, eye catching and interesting.

17. Peach colour scheme. This was an idea taken from the Flaws album which I felt would appeal to the audience and fit with the indie theme as it does for Bombay Bicycle Club. This direct copying of colour scheme was due to the nature of homaging a design. 

18. After looking at the cover of Flaws as well as researching close up images, I had established that I was going to feature a close up image of a female who has no significant relevance to the band or album. I took photos of one of our group members as she suits the type of look I was aiming to achieve to create a mysterious, stylish looking album cover image. Image 18 on the journey shows the shot of Lauren Bolton used on the cover before editing took place.

19. This is an example of pop art effects added onto a close up image of a female. This gave me ideas of how to change and edit my intended cover image in a way which appeal to the audience and looks interesting.

20. After gathering more ideas on the type of filter i could apply to the image, i decided to transform the image into a pixelated looking black and white version of the intended cover image to give me a better idea of the outcome. This led to the decision to add colour to the image as i did like the effect achieved through applying the filter on Photoshop, however i felt this was too basic and did not make the intended statement on the audience. My idea to design a homage of the Flaws album also meant that the colour scheme featured on this should be applied onto my cover image of Lauren also.

21, 22, 23. These are examples of existing digipak covers of indie bands. I was convinced on using colour at this point as i felt that it stands out. I explored the use of pop-art style cover images and the impact it has on the audience.

24. Final edited image of Lauren ready to be featured on the front cover of my digipak after applying the relevant colour scheme and photo effects in attempt of homaging the Flaws album with an added pop-art style effect to modify my own version.

25. Final version of Parables digipak. This was created in aim to homage Bombay Bicycle Club's Flaws album using the front and back cover panels as guidelines. This led me to create the remaining  4 inside panels on the basis of ensuring consistency through colour schemes, fonts, sizes, alignment, etc. I feel I achieved a stlylish, glossy looking final design after lots of research of how to effectively combine different elements of the images above.

26. Final Parables advert. As I homaged BBC's album cover to create my digipak,  felt it was necessary that I also homaged the design of the advertisement for the Flaws album to ensure consistency, audience recognition and an appealing design. I searched for the advertisement online and directly copied it in terms of colour scheme, image placement, fonts, sizes, alignment, etc. This mean that both final ancillary texts I had produced were stylish, of an industry standard and appealing in the eyes of the target audience.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment